29.4.13

80mm refractor on eBay

*
Circa 1908 Antique Broadhurst Clarkson 600x Equatorial Refractor Telescope. | eBay



Offered for sale a

Circa 1908 Antique

Broadhurst Clarkson

600x Equatorial Refractor Telescope,

which I understand is a bit of a classic and in its time a high quality very sought after high spec piece of equipment. I should declare at this point I have little knowledge of telescopes and am certainly no expert, so my description is that of a layperson. The telescope has been purchased amongst other items from a house clearance company in Selsey and as far as I am able to ascertain is in really nice working order. With the telescope is a leaflet which I believe describes many of its features and I quote:

(“ D=80mm F=1200mm high quality fraunhofer type achromatic coated lens. w/equatorial mount equipped with two setting circles, camera mount & spilit level. Rack and pinion focusing with rough draw tube. White smooth finished body. Eyepiece: SR4mm(300x). HM6MM(200x) HM9MM(133x) HM12.5MM(96x) & Ke22mm(54.5x) accessories: star diagonal prism, erecting prism, sun glass, moon glass, 6x 30mm finder scope, sun projecting screen accessory tray with illuminator, balance weight, 2pcs. Flexible cable controls, 2 section hardwood tripod. Packed in Styrofoam and wooden carrying case”).

I offer this as a guide only along with a good number of photos for your consideration if from viewing the photographs you are unable to identify any of the features described you should assume they are not there. I can confirm for instance the tripod is metal not hardwood and there is a carrying case but if there was Styrofoam it is now on longer with it. This really is a super item and offers collectors and enthusiast a good opportunity to acquire what I believe to be an increasingly rare item to find. 


























I am grateful to John for bringing this one to my attention. I haven't had a saved search for B&C until now. It may be difficult to perfectly match the description with the item being sold but somebody was keen to own it. Eight bids to £341. The enclosed paper in the eyepiece box is the major red herring and obviously nothing to do with the auction telescope. Even though  it is quoted in full. I am curious as to what lies under the paper in the concealed part of the box.

The buyer obtained a set of Broadhurst and Clarkson Ramsden eyepieces, a wide angle from Charles Frank  and two original diagonals. (Sun and Star) Plus an interesting 80mm (?) refractor and MkIII Fullerscopes mounting on what is probably a surveyor's tripod. What is slightly confusing is the source of the date and identification of the refractor as being made by B&C on that date. Perhaps these details are all shown on the tailpiece? (Which is poorly shown in the otherwise excellent auction images)

I rather like the compact box for the mounting. The seller readily admits knowing nothing of telescopes. No crime there and they have made no attempt to fool anybody. The refractor certainly looks the part in all visible details. Though any objective is always a risk without live inspection.

I have simply copied the images over from the auction website without modification. I may tidy them up later.

This item sold for £341.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*







No comments: