2.3.17

Test-testing 2.

*

Today's tests were with the IH2 paddle using the AWR stepper drive boxes. I could not try any computer Gotos because my old Vista imaging computer doesn't have the correct software and ASCOM drivers installed. My earlier indoor planetarium tests were with W10 on a recent i7 PC. It will be interesting to see if ASCOM-AWR will play nicely with Stellarium and Vista.

I tried re-balancing the mounting and a few more slews today. The RA actually manages over 180 degrees in four minutes. Simultaneously slewing in Declination provides a much more rapid movement across the sky. Assuming of course that a change of Declination was actually desired or necessary. It would seem sensible for objects to be chosen for observation, or imaging, in logical steps across the sky. Rather than slewing 180° from East to West and then all the way back again.

Interestingly [?] when doing Goto [motor only] slews in Stellarium the mounting tended to drive both axes to begin with. Then ran only one motor once the correct declination or RA had been reached. I believe AWR claims a shortest path for Gotos. But that would presumably be using their own internal, object database. If one were actually installed. It is an extra charge on the price of the intelligent drive system to be downloaded from the AWR[Technology]uk website.

AWR Technology - INTELLIGENT DRIVE SYSTEM

Since I planned to use a computer and planetarium software for my catalogues and Gotos I saved the expense of the object database. ASCOM-AWR-Stellarium may use an alternative route from object to object. It must be remembered that an accurate Goto can save an awful lot of time-wasting searching for objects in the eyepiece or camera. Particularly when the object is small and/or dim. Light pollution must make Goto essential in some situations. Fortunately I do not have that problem. Provided I hide in my back garden away from my neighbours' runway landing light systems.

Bringing the Vista PC indoors for updating proved tiresome in the extreme. Several hours passed without progress. Avast and Stellarium both locked up the machine and crashed repeatedly. I think I will have to invest in a new PC or perhaps a laptop for telescope control and imaging. The problem is finding a white keyboard laptop with a decent sized screen. A mid price W10 PC and 24" screen makes more sense than a more expensive 15.6" laptop with a limited keyboard.

Or not. Who wants cables and screens and mice and keyboards? Not to mention providing space for all of them. I am now the proud owner of my very first laptop! 😎

Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: