26.7.17

Building the Octagon Pt.58 It's huge!

*
Wednesday: After yesterday's wet weather it was pleasant to be back into sunshine and light winds. You can keep the warm.

It occurred to me that I had no real feeling for the size of the observatory yet. The open sides were far too transparent to be able to pause the eye. One's focus passes straight through to the surrounding scenery. So I hung a new 3x5m lightweight tarpaulin where the obs. walls should be. These are about 4'6" or 1.4 meters high.

Remember that no roof or dome has been placed on top yet. This is just to simulate the observatory walls. The octagon is a little over 3m or 10' across. I don't think the image really captures the sheer scale of it. Perhaps I need more background? Or I just need to move further away with the camera?

This high level shot, from a dormer window, makes it look far more squat and heavy. That wasn't expected at all. I thought it would look far too 'lanky' on stilts. Though the dome/roof will make it taller again it should remain in balance once all the walls are covered.

My wife and I have been searching countless images online for inspiration for a more traditional roof style. A conventional, rib and gore dome is still possible but alternatives beckon. 4mm BWP Birch plywood looks like the best bet if I go for all flat surfaces. Some surface texture would be nice. Thin plywood 'fish scale' tiles perhaps? Though it would certainly add to the weight. Just another idea discussed in passing. Thatch anybody? I kid you not. Its pros and cons were discussed.

I had better get on with the veranda or it will never be finished! Yet another veranda side [6th] went far more quickly than previous ones. I shall be getting good at this just as I finish the last side. The latter is fast becoming a distinct reality. I just need to trim the right side of the last [7th] side and I have [almost] finished the floor boarding. There are a couple of short, diagonal joists to be fixed underneath and some gaps to be filled under the obs. walls. This is deliberate and depends on the space required for flashing. Only then can I judge the desired width of these narrower board 'fillers.' 

I have to admit that while the flooring looks okay at a glance this has been my least favourite part of the entire construction. You would not believe the number of times I have been up and down those 10 steps! The miter saw is downstairs in the shed next door and the work to be fitted and measured upstairs. With often only a hair's breadth [repeatedly] shaved off here and there it has sorely tried my patience!

Each 1"x 5" floorboard was usually long enough and therefore heavy enough to be a nuisance to carry up and down. Not to mention threading them all through the small opening upstairs going both ways.

The weather has not been particularly helpful. With quite unnecessary rain and equally unnecessary heat regularly changing places in the forecast. A wise man would [probably] have put a roof on it first. To afford shelter from both rain and heat. My practice on the ladder has made me confident enough to become careless. While my thighs have grown muscles many cyclists would envy! Am I having fun yet? 😎

Perhaps I should add that the upper braces on the obs. wall posts are for strength. I haven't cut the posts level with each other yet. Unfortunately it is too early to decide on wall height so I can't clad the obs. walls with plywood either. Think of the build as a journey of discovery. Not so much a collection of whims but something to be made up as I went along.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: