1.11.17

Dome build. Doing Swedish wheelies.

*

Wednesday 1st Nov:

The driver arrived with my wheels at lunchtime and I wasted no time opening the boxes and trying them out. They roll extremely easily and seem well made. Probably complete overkill but I'm not getting any younger. So I don't want to be struggling to turn the dome later on. You never know how much additional weight might be necessary for water-proofing.

The inevitable, freshly unpacked shot of the gorgeous wheels: Swede Wheel | 5PF 160-PA6 R

http://www.swede-wheel.se/Product/ShowPdf?Sku=5D16680222N-HD


Now, with the base ring balanced on top of the inverted wheels.

Photo taken from a ladder resting on the shed's gable end for an aerial view.

The cladding on the tall pier is cheap, flooring grade, crap plywood.

The Red oaks are still looking colourful.


The low level view. The total wheel height is 190mm or about 7.5". 

The white nylon wheels are marked Swede-Wheel and are 48mm wide x 160mm in diameter with needle roller bearings and a claimed load capacity of 350kg @ 4kmh. [2" x 6.5" x 770lbs.] The base plate on the sturdy, pressed fork is 110 x 135mm.

As it was so still today I risked balancing the bare, dome base ring on top of the wheels. The woodwork is still dark from the earlier rain. The ring turned effortlessly but still needs centering rollers before I dare to trust it to stay on track. I might use skateboard wheels mounted on timber blocks for centering the dome. Unless I can find some hefty, galvanized steel, shelf brackets. Something with a hooked 'nose' would allow the skateboard wheel's axle to be firmly fixed. I'm keeping an open mind because there are lots of other wheels and potential supports out there.

I've been measuring up the 3"x4" for timber brackets to help to support the wheels and decided on 46cm lengths. I'll need to buy some 8" coach bolts to fix them properly. A quick trip to the timber yard produced a large box of various nuts, bolts and screws. Hopefully enough to finish the project. The miter saw makes quick work of chopping off lengths of the 3"x4" producing perfectly clean and square cuts.

The forecast is wet overnight but much brighter tomorrow. I have decided to take down the mounting to remove the obstacle to base ring accuracy. Two stepladders will have to be lifted up there, straightened, then tied together with the chain hoist.

I'll leave the mounting on the obs. floor well wrapped up. Then I can measure assorted diameters of the ring for the wheels. Once the wheel track is confirmed I can decide whether to replace the mounting.

Fixing the eight, timber brackets for the 2x8 octagon, wheel support ring will take another couple of hours. I'd better get cracking while it's still dry weather.

Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: