1.1.18

Mounting update: Securing the cables to the Dec motor.

 *

 The image shows the latest arrangement of the Dec stepper motor drive cables. Not easy to photograph underneath the Dec axis, motor support plate in a dark shed/workshop.

I decided the initial motor cable was far more fragile than the long, sleeved cable connected to the AWR Microstep Drive box. Both cables are joined by a unique, latching, plug and socket.

The initial cable was also rather long for my own needs. So I folded and zip tied it to the edge of the 10mm thick, motor support plate. Though not very tidily, I admit. I still haven't earthed the green wire until fully satisfied with the cabling arrangements. I may still fold the motor cable under the motor support plate to hide it better.

I then P-clipped the heavier connecting cable to act as the cable's, strain relief device. This much sturdier cable goes through the large hole in the mounting's fork face plate and thence off to the AWR electronics. AWR were very generous with these connecting cables to allow for a very tall pier for the refractor and/or some distance to the drive electronics.

It is important that no load is placed on the short, initial, motor cable as the mounting moves the telescope around the sky. So I have added a slack loop of the heavier cable to allow for 180° of Declination axis rotation. Not to mention catering for a similar range of PA movements.

I used to park the folded refractor horizontally on the north side of the pier with the weights up on the south side. [Image right] This was only to reduce wind loading on the temporary pier in case it all tipped over during a gale. I doubt I shall have to resort to such "gymnastics" with the long telescope tube safely housed in its dome. Though I may yet revert to the folded form.

I don't have a name [yet] for the black, 9 pin, latching plug and socket. The AWR guide mentions a rectangular 'Quick-mate' system, but I haven't found any images online to confirm this. I thought I might be able to shorten the first motor cable myself, to tidy things up, if I can source a spare socket.

This will save me purchasing a complete, but shorter motor cable from AWR. Though there could easily be some soldering or crimping of the wires to the pins and sleeves involved. I haven't discovered if the plugs and sockets can be disassembled. Or even re-wired after use without destroying anything. Only six of the 9 pins available are actively used.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: