20.3.18

Going H-alpha: Better but not enough.

 *

Monday: Constant sunshine with light winds. Back out there again with a much improved tail end thanks to the internal support ring. I can see several prominences including a nicely detailed arch. A single dark streak near the limb is very low contrast. I still don't think I have the H-alpha telescope optimized.

I am getting thermal effects on the limb from the roof and chimney which are directly to my south. I should take the telescope up onto the observatory platform to check if that helps. The problem is lifting the heavy Fullerscope's MkIV mounting let alone its massive, welded steel pier. Probably best to put the MkIV on the pyramid pier for isolation. I'll have to rig up my chain winch.

Instead of putting the MkIV mounting up there I decided to lift my massive DIY/ATM Goto [GEM] mounting. There followed the usual struggle to set up two ladders on the platform. I used a massive, square steel tube resting on the pier and dome base rail for the first lift. Once the mounting was safely onto the platform I had to lift the chain hoist up to the peak of the opposing ladders from yet another ladder. My habit of adding ratchet strap "safety guy lines" for the ladders was repeated.

Later I fitted the 6" f/8 [with the D-ERF in place and stopped down to 120mm] to the big mounting  and tried it on the distant woods. At 450 yard I could have seen a fly on a bud on a twig. At 1200 yards I could clearly see each individual twig on the tops of the distant trees. This is the first time I have had such distant views all thanks to the raised platform. This was with a 35mm Meade 4000 Plossl in the 2" star diagonal for 37.5x.

All in all, it takes a coupe of hours from starting to having the big mounting safely bolted onto the pier. I was aching and tired by the time I'd finished. Just lifting the builder's step ladders bodily up to the platform is very hard work. Then they have to be moved around, tied together and finally brought upright.

Now I need a proper weather proof cover for the big mounting. The huge, 275 liter garden waste bags I bought in a supermarket are wearing thin from constant exposure. Nothing else is remotely big enough to safely cover the mounting. I keep thinking about pond liner as a tough, long lasting cover. Welding one into a bag shape would be perfect.

I bought some cheap tarpaulins to temporarily cover the observatory walls. They just happened to be close to the correct size for two panels each. This gave me a better idea of the size of the structure and its likely appearance. Plus, it would give me some shelter from the cold winter winds if I want to observe.

It feels quite roomy inside the 3m, 10' octagon. Black inside and dull green outside are the ideal colours. I still need to add some 2"x 4" timber, horizontal  struts just below and just above observatory floor level to safely fix the plywood panels later on. The image shows the tarpaulins now in place. I went round after this stapling the edges to tidy things up.  It can still rain in from the top down through the observatory floor but it all helps to keep the timber structure fairly dry. I put the folding chair in the doorway to give some sense of scale.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: