19.7.18

Dome build: The real thing! Raising the slit ribs and bars.

*

It took me a couple of hours to finally get the slit ribs and crossbars into place. I had to add two lower crossbar battens to allow a three stage lift. 

This involved untying a ladder and using it as a gin pole. Then having to rotate it while under load because it was blocking the ribs from straightening up. Running new cord though the pair of triple pulley blocks took its time too.

Then the orange ratchet strap guy lines were in the way and had to be loosened and moved several times. The props on the ribs were also a nuisance and had to be removed. I was sure the whole lot wanted collapse on top of me except for the support from the tall stepladder.

Here is the view from my upstairs, computer desk window. With the camera resting on the windowsill just about level with the top of the veranda railings.

The dome has now taken on its true shape and size. So I'm glad I fitted the railings. Because the dome would otherwise look rather too big for its octagonal building from certain angles.

Next step is to run a 2x4 straight edge across the dome base ring and measure upwards for the correct, internal slit height at the crossbar. Hopefully it won't need propping or dome rotation might be compromised while I work on adding the rest of the gores.  

Once the slit framework was in place I could carry the gores individually up the internal steps. The bottom struts were previously located by screws. So I could tap nails gently into the existing screw holes to lock the bases temporarily but securely against unwanted movement. The ribs were fixed together with plenty of spring clamps. The ribs have yet to be glued to each other so it would be pointless to bolt them together at this point.

Click on any image for an enlargement.
*




No comments: