3.9.18

Dome build: More top tier panels:

*

Monday: Spent the entire day making top tier panels. Nine done and only 4 more to go. These panels are hard to see from the ground but will hopefully keep the rain out. The image was taken at dusk.

I solved the endless plugging-unplugging problem with a cheap multi-socket. No need to worry about current capacity when only one tool is ever being used. I can't be in two places at the same time no matter how hard I try. I have also learned to have a pencil in every place I am likely to need one. You would not believe how long it took me to get around to this. I even tuck pencils inside the ladder rungs to save me yet another journey down and back up again.

I had turned the dome around to face north while I worked on one panel. I glanced down while standing astride the stepladders with my head about 4' above the top of the dome. I was looking straight down through the open slit at the original ground level. It was the first time I actually sensed the full height.

I had used self-compacting sand and gravel to raise the ground level by about 1m or 3' below the actual building. Beyond that it falls away to the north. Even the floor of the observatory seems a long way below when I am standing on the top rungs of the stepladders.  The dome is 5' tall inside. The floor another 5' below that. Hopefully this means there will be plenty of room for a decent length of dewshield on my 7" f/12 refractor.

Tuesday: Another panel finished. A corner one again. Three easier ones to do. Warm and sunny. One more up. Two to go. And another. One more panel to go. Plus two small triangles next to the slit ribs.

Wednesday: Another warm and mostly sunny day reaching 71F. Last top tier panel finished by lunchtime. Only two small triangles left to do. Then I can start under bracing.

After lunch, rain stopped play. Artificial rain from a farmer's huge tractor and spraying machine with the wind coming our way.

With the last two small triangles fitted the covering panels are complete. I have run out of Sikaflex 591 sealer. So I ordered an extra couple of tubes online, in brown.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: