24.9.18

Dome build: Veranda doors.

 *

Monday: In the morning I drove to buy some galvanized T-hinges, some latches and another sheet of grooved, plywood for the observatory doors.  Fortunately I had a choice of big shed DIY outlet and selected the best options on offer from each.

During the afternoon I fitted the upstairs, double doors out to the veranda. Not enough time to fit the latch to hold them closed. I'm using the same 1/2" [12mm[ grooved plywood as the rest of the building for uniformity. It is a matter of personal taste whether you like this material. I do, and it's my building project. It is commonly used for garden sheds and cladding carports and garages. Mine are still bare ply at the moment but I shall add thin frames to the insides. Hoping to prevent them warping over time.

I also hope to avoid adding any [weather] framing above [or below the doors] because it would impede my ducking under the octagon top rail. The door height is a smidgen over 135cm. Or just over 4'5" in Olde Money.  Having ducked under the bar literally hundreds of times during the build I don't find it too onerous.

Though I should emphasize that I would not want it to be the main point of access. I have a habit of losing concentration while thinking furiously about something else and then hitting my head. Which is why I usually wear a hat while working on the observatory. 

It was quite a hard decision deciding where exactly to place the hinges on the octagon posts. There seemed to be too many options. I finally settled for a well recessed position on the inward slopes. This provided plenty of overhang above to reduce the impact of wind driven rain. The veranda doors face west towards the prevailing wind and rain.

The doors had to open outwards since the ladder handrails bump against the doors in their closed position. Quite deliberately I might add. There is just room to push past the open doors when walking along the 60cm wide veranda. The doors each ended up 52cm wide for 104cm in total. About 3'5". 




Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: