26.10.18

Dome build: Settling in?

*

There is definitely a learning curve to actually owning an observatory. It is only now sinking in that I have an observatory instead of a seemingly endless, building project. This requires a complete change of attitude on my part. What can I do with it now it exists?

When the sky darkens for rain I can instantly close the shutter doors and relax. No more panic stations to get everything safely sheltered before it is wet through and completely ruined or starts to rust. When the sun comes out it can be blinding nuisance while working on the instruments. Now I can just rotate the dome to provide much more even and comfortable light. Even half close a shutter to reduce the light infall.

Likewise with the wind. If it picks up I can easily rotate the slit downwind. None of these options exist with a roll-off roof observatory. Except for closing the roof for shelter. Which is only a two second job on a dome. Or a delay on a motor-driven, roll-off roof.

The sky was clear but very misty tonight. [If that makes any sense.] So I was able to sight along the OTA on the Pole Star for a quick and dirty confirmation of N-S alignment. Pretty close! Polar altitude was checked earlier with a clinometer. I have no eyepieces or star diagonals fitted yet so there was no chance of greater precision. I'll wait for a clearer night or do some "drifting."

The exercise certainly "shone a light" on my desperate need for lighting in the dome and the lower building. Climbing the steep aluminium stairs, with one hand clutching a torch and the camera case in the other, is not the easiest of tasks. This, despite my hundreds of ascents and descents in all conditions while carrying heavy loads of tools, umpteen ladders and a succession of huge and heavy materials.

A headlamp? From direct experience I find headlamps uncomfortable whatever the headgear worn underneath. I have a powerful, rechargeable, Klee LED headlamp. But cannot tolerate the lamp body weighing down, like half a building brick, on my forehead. Let alone its hefty battery pack and its ridiculously stiff connecting lead. Can you imagine the head injuries if one of these headlamps was worn by a mountain biker? One who somehow managed an unexpected AOT [arse-over-tit] alone in the darkness on an isolated forest track?



Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: