27.11.18

Mounting: Moving the RA wormwheel 4.

*

It was pitch black just after 16.30pm by the time I had modified the mounting to take the motor/worm assembly underneath. I used the original center hole despite moving the support fork tines forwards. 

A cross stud would get in the way of new altitude pivot holes 2cm further up. So I moved the holes 3cm upwards instead. The combination of changes gave me lots of clearance from the base plate and the pier.

The images were taken blindly in total darkness with flash. Better images in daylight tomorrow.

Again I used the block and tackle to lift the PA and base plate onto the pier. Screwing the long azimuth clamping stud upwards from inside the pier went surprisingly well. The PA altitude adjustment turnbuckle still fitted despite the changes. I seem to have gained a couple of inches in a southerly direction along the base plate, judging by my rough orientation marks. I'll measure how much tomorrow.

Also tomorrow comes the struggle to thread the PA shaft back down through its flange bearings. Then I can attach the wormwheel and check that all is well. I must surely have overlooked something in my quest to move the wormwheel down to the bottom of the PA. Hopefully the shaft will be just long enough for a shallow clamping collar. I'll probably need a cover of some sort, or a rail, to protect my clothing from the big wormwheel in the dark.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: