21.1.19

21st Jan: Lunar eclipse: NOT! Sun instead.

*

I looked out at 03.30 to thick cloud and went back to bed. By the time I rose again we'd had an inch of snow. The first the dome has seen.

Adhesion is obviously proving difficult. Lots of snow had slipped off by the time I took a picture through an upstairs window.

11.30-12.00 The dome has remained dry inside in the snow. Lack of wind probably.

Solar: Another full day of sunshine. No proms visible nor anything of note on the disk. GONG H-a agrees.

12.30pm After a misty start with thermal issues in H-alpha I am now seeing a dark spot and a pale patch at 3.00 inv. True east side of disk. Can't see either in white light with green SC filter in the 7".

14.30pm Yet more detail coming out as I roll the 'sweet spot' ring around the disk.  Dark and light spots. Binoviewer with 26mm EPs for only 46x. With the 20mms [60x] the fine image detail goes soft. Still nothing visible in white light. A completely blank disk.

I can't capture any of this fine detail with afocal snaps. So perhaps the answer is to mark the detail onto blank circles. Using an imaging/drawing software like PhotoFiltre. The advantage of this is that I can rotate my virtual drawing without the mental gymnastics required to draw mirror images.


Click on any image for an enlargement

*

No comments: