17.1.19

Observatory chores.

*

I am still very happy with the small AWR 'paddle' dangling near the focuser. It has cured my overwhelming desire to nudge the OTAs to center on an object. Doing so would lose the sky to the drive software and make Goto slews a disaster.

The other day I discovered that when the mounting was covered in condensation a lot of it ran down onto the 11" RA wormwheel. Where it would [potentially] run off and land on the AWR electronics. So I have moved all the boxes around to the bottom of the east side panel under the laptop shelf. I drilled holes though the pier's 3/4" plywood to feed the connecting plugs through to hide all the wiring neatly out of sight inside the pier. The IH2 is now a permanent feature on the pier just above the laptop.

More white light is needed for working inside the observatory when the shutters are closed. I have already fitted a switched bulb holder on the ground floor. By positioning the bulb behind the pier cladding it does not shine into the observatory upstairs but is easy to reach when needed.

It is difficult to believe how many new jobs present themselves after a little experience in actually using the observatory. I still haven't found a sensible storage solution for all the bits and pieces.  Eyepieces, elbows, star diagonal, binoviewers, spacers, filters, etc. Fitting them in sealed, plastic boxes is a bore when the lids have to be repeatedly prized off. Nor do they want to be completely open to the night sky. Where dust and condensation will inevitably take their toll.

Because I own large refractors, the south side of the observatory is clear. While the north side is where I usually stand and move about. That said, I'd rather the accessories were readily accessible near the focusers. Without having to walk right around to the south side. Particularly when I have to step cross the yawning gap over the access stepladder. While hoping to avoid the overhanging telescopes.

Perhaps I need a series of fairly narrow shelves arranged in tiers on the north side of the pier to carry covered boxes. The slope of the pyramidal pier aids stability and avoids things rolling off.

Close to the pier is no man's land. While the outer floor is heavily trafficked. So the northern observatory walls are a very poor place to have storage. Because I'd be constantly bumping into it. While the pier is a good place provided the storage doesn't project too much.

All this may sound terribly pedantic, but it all needs careful consideration. If only to maximize the functionality of the observatory. If something proves to be impractical, then the pleasure may be reduced but the problem may never be fully corrected.

Inertia rears its ugly head and the user [me] may choose to temporarily tolerate the problem. While busily thinking, in the background, of ways to improve the situation with the minimum of effort. And so the years pass unnoticed... I still haven't fitted that coat hook.

For most people an observatory won't get as much use as mine will. Being retired means I can spend all day [and night] in there if I want to. Thought Police willing, of course. So everything needs to be right and comfortable and functional. Time spent is not the same thing as time wasted. Repeatedly working around a poor arrangement can waste huge amounts of time over the longer period.

My mini Startech 4x USB hub has arrived so I had better check that out before it becomes vital to imaging and Goto drives. We are promised sunshine for tomorrow. Cold but with light winds. Sunshine is rare enough without wasting valuable time fixing stuff before I can even start.

Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: