27.1.19

Wet but busy.

 *

Sunday: There were several wet spots on the top rail where the dome was leaking at the joints. Despite almost continuous rain today I fitted the last, missing floor board in the observatory. This had required removing a veranda floor board. So that the mitered 'indoor' board could be pushed under the northern wall between two octagon posts. Fortunately the stainless steel, Torx, decking screws came out without much effort.

While I had the miter saw running I cut two more larch boards to make some accessory shelves. I would have preferred 150mm or 6" width instead of  the 120mm [nearly 5"] of the larch boards for the lower shelves. Though I suppose I could cut some battens to fit on the front to deepen the lower shelves. Then the larger accessories could be fitted into the slightly larger, plastic boxes. Instead of being housed in several boxes. There was a special offer of nesting, plastic boxes in the local supermarket so they may still have more.

The eyepieces fitted nicely into two middle sized, rectangular boxes. I'm now keeping the binoviewer pairs separated from the rest. This will save searching for the focal lengths in the microscopic writing on the Meade 4000 Series. The drooling moron who got the job of designing the orange writing should be languishing in jail somewhere. For wasting massive human resources over several decades. Not least mine as I search for my reading glasses and torch, yet again, just to be able to read the unintelligible script! 

I have printed out some magnification tables in large bold text. Then fixed them to the observatory walls in plastic filing sleeves. With two telescopes and a binoviewer, I find it almost impossible to remember the powers. Nor do I want do the sums in my head for four different focal lengths.

I also fitted a U-shaped, drawer-type of handle on the inside of the observatory front door so that it could be more easily pulled open. I still have to fix a strong roller catch to keep the door closed in strong winds. A Suffolk latch might have done but I haven't found any in Denmark. I can't have anything which locks from the inside in case of an accident and I can't be reached. My wife regularly visits when I am observing or working in there. So it would not be sensible to have to go downstairs just to unlock the door every time.

Rather than paint the inside of the observatory walls matt black I thought I'd use tar paper. This is a bitumen impregnated, heavy paper sold in a roll. Commonly used as a wind stop in lightweight wall constructions. I lined my workshop with tar paper when I built it and it has lasted for many years. Though I can't say I have spent lots of time in there with the door closed. I usually leave the door open for the extra light it provides.

My wife questioned the unknown toxicity and suggested charcoal grey, garden fleece instead. This is commonly used for stopping weeds from growing. It is also available in slightly heavier weights for stabilizing loose gravel drives and for under-sealing paving slabs against weeds and ants.

Fibertex is one commercial offering with claimed 3-5 year UV stability when exposed to sunlight. The idea is to remove the plywood panels from the observatory walls. Then to staple the material to the timber framing before replacement of the grooved plywood cladding. Hopefully the material will not sag over time and look untidy. While still providing a uniform, dark and non-reflective surface.The saving in time, over painting, should be quite considerable.

*

No comments: