23.3.19

23.03.1 AWR IH2 Firmware update

*

The trued up backing disk lying on the saucepan for scale. 180mm disk, 203mm pan. The disk will be all but covered by the focuser base. With hopefully a margin for the push pull, collimation screws. Still "in the rough" at this time. I'll have to bore the [110mm?] centre hole to clear the new drawtube before I can turn the edge of the disk on the 3 jaw chuck. I needed the limits of my 4-jaw chuck to be able to turn the faces. I still have only a very rough idea of the actual dimensions involved so I am making haste slowly. I promise it will be much prettier, and lighter, when it is finished.

Saturday morning:  Overcast with brighter periods through thin cloud. The views are so misty as to be worthless but improving. I routinely watched for shadow edges to harden on the observatory wall as I scribble my blog on the laptop.

A fellow owner of AWR drives has suggested I check for IH2 firmware updates on the AWR website. Which I duly did. To discoverer I was a couple of updates in arrears. I shan't go into much detail because it will only apply to AWR IH2 drive users. I downloaded the bootloader and the latest release and put them in the same file to ease finding them.

Then I followed the instructions on page 61 of 70 in the AWR IDS Manual. A few moments later I was rewarded with new firmware. Power off and then back on and the new firmware number V1.740 showed on the IH2 screen.

11.10 54/49F I have the telescopes tracking on the sun, using C-Du-C, but with only rare brightening so far. The cloud is coming from the SW and is only slightly mottled. With any, clear blue areas only overhead.

11.25 Finally! A WL view showed a nice spot cluster on the bottom of the disk from my point of view. The largest spot has a Saturn ring with disturbed texture nearby. West or 3.00 on Gong.

9 o' clock on the "straight through" binoviewers view in H-a. A nice spot on the limb with a bar through it and an extended, but broken filament parallel to the bar. Large area of plage and a prominence nearby on the limb.

Spent hours capturing videos of the spot and then spoiling them with Registax. I was getting some remarkably clear images on the laptop during capture. Though there was a fair bit of thermal agitation of the image at other times. My poor laptop drive is now full of captured videos. What to do? Use an external hard drive?

*

No comments: