19.4.19

19th April 2019 Last rasher of AR 2738

*

Friday 64-65F, bright but rather windy. AR2738 is now very close to the limb. Followed by the two small spots.

The first two are white light images after processing in Registax and PhotoFiltre. Capturing the video at 60fps and then pushing it through the software takes only a couple of minutes. So an astronomical event can be live on the internet within only a few minutes. I have to reduce my images in file size for the blog and smaller again for the forums. Otherwise it would be even quicker.



For some reason it is traditional to post images in marmalade orange. Not lemon yellow as here! I'm still trying to get PhotoFiltre to cooperate.

I took the opportunity to push the yellow image too hard in Registax Wavelets and FF contrast to bring out all possible detail. The effect is very artificial but still interesting. I am seeing exquisite surface detail on the 4K laptop screen but it is always lost in processing.



The next three images on the right are captured in H-alpha.





AR2738 exits [slowly] stage right on a burning funeral pyre of prominences. I should have respected correct orientation of these two H-a images but never thought about it at the time. It is only a matter of rotating the camera in the telescope fitting. Now too late because I have already labelled them.


It was not a great spot but it certainly earned its keep while on the stage.


There are rumours going around that the present/future Solar Minimum will be deep and spotless. I like to think that every prom on the arrival limb is a potential spot. While my while light images aren't too bad I'm still lacking definition in H-alpha.

All the detailed imagery on the forums seems to be coming from Daystar Quarks. I know I can capture much of the white light detail with my new ZWO120 but the H-a results are patchy and lack the surface swirls of better images. I do need a focuser for the H-alpha train but there's more to it than that. Now it has been suggested that I investigate ImPGG software.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: