13.4.19

Saturday 13th April Solar with ZWOASI120MC-S + SharpCap

*

Saturday 13th. Clear with light winds and a slight, overnight frost.

Sunshine is forecast for this morning at least. A chance to try out my new camera and SharpCap. Image right is a "Snapshot" taken with SharpCap.

09.30 39/37F easterly wind blowing through the open slit. Cloud increasing.

WL: The spot, AR2738, is absolutely superb. Just above centre and a little to the left. [east] It displays a clear umbra and large surrounding penumbra. The seeing is good enough to see fine surface texture at the limit of visibility at 110x.

In H-a the spot appears smaller but surrounded in a vast area of lighter plage. A couple of nondescript proms.

Fired up SharpCap 3.2 and the ZWOASIO120MC-S on the Lacerta prism, to see a superbly even surface texture but with racing cloud. This was not what I was promised! By which I mean the cloud.

The ZWO 120 absolutely destroys any pretensions my Neximage5 might have had as an astro camera. The ZWO hasn't decided it is tired of life [several times before it decides to work] and still needs to shut down [several more times] for another rest. No Newtons rings either!

I was called in for coffee and rolls which coincided with more cloud. Now back to the fray!

Lightning fast at capturing 1000 frames at 60fps. Opened in Registax to show the image superimposed on check cloth!I tried changing to RAW16 and RGB24 but it made no difference. Even PhotoFiltre 7 made checks out of captured stills! Resizing immediately got rid of the patterns.

Now I'm battling with wind and clouds! The cloud continues as I seek help with the patterning. It is debayering [or demosaicing] which I need to address. I managed to run one video through Registax and the resulting image can be seen above. I think I may have overdone the after-treatment in PhotoFiltre as I removed the apple green colour from the Baader Solar Continuum filter. Too much grain.

https://youtube live video AR2738




Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: