14.6.19

14th June 2019 Solar proms 2.

*

Friday 14th 74/71F, mostly clear skies. Trying to capture the westerly 'hedge' of proms in H-a as they develop and disappear around the receding limb.

I recoloured this one in "sepia" from the original pink in H-alpha.

The fringe of proms is well seen both against the H-a disk and when occluded using PhotoFiltre software. Unfortunately, darkening the background, by reducing gamma, just darkens the proms as well. There is no easy "fix" to increase the contrast without more sophisticated software.

After a clear and sunny morning it has turned cloudy this afternoon.

While I seem to be able to capture a lot of detail I still lack the skill, using the present software, to maximize the presentation. The proms and surface detail don't look as completely natural as I see on the laptop screen during capture. The proms, as I see them, are as fine and superbly detailed as the smoke of a bonfire at the end of the garden. Alternative softwares are straining my ability to use them to best effect. With my awful, short term memory I hate the increasingly precipitous, learning curves!

Saturday: Horribly wet and windy again. I have been out to check the dome. Only a small, wet patch on the base ring under the shutters.

Click on any image for an enlargement.

No comments: