17.8.19

More tidying and summary of recent improvements.

*

Saturday was another wet day but eventually it petered off. So off I went to see what I could do to improve the observatory. I can't open the slit for perfect, daylight lighting in the dome when it is raining. It is just not the same working by artificial light.

In their original position, the AWR electronics boxes were pushing out the new chest of drawers. So I re-sited these boxes on the pier. By moving the simple angle brackets up and further away. Rewiring, to tidy all the knitting took rather longer. Though I didn't need to drill any more large holes. Just re-route and push the wires and oversized plugs through different holes in the pier's 18mm plywood cladding.

Before long I had half of the observatory floor clear too. The rest went into boxes for easy removal. I just seem to leave a trail of accumulation behind me. Tools, bits of wire, boxes of screws, timber off-cuts and screw hooks just follow me around. Then get tired and just fall to the floor when I'm not looking.

A cluttered floor is no good in daylight or in the dark if there are always things to fall over. Or narrowing the foot traffic routes. Though I am usually looking south across an arc from SE to SW. So anything on the floor to the south is not so much of a hindrance. Had I a reflector, the opposite would be true. I'd need free floor space on the southern arc and then have nowhere sensible for the computer.

I do hope I'm not developing unnecessary pride in the appearance of my set-up. It won't last. It never does. I am now very happy with the newly counter-weighted trapdoor and new veranda doors. A vast improvement for several reasons. Mostly ease of use and much easier access.

I have tended to develop user habits based entirely on the ease of use or access. Now I can stop being lazy and be much safer into the bargain. I can also go out onto the veranda without it being a chore involving a 5 minute struggle with warped and sticking doors.

The new, 27" monitor screen is superb and something I should have done ages ago. Software, which was impossible to see on the 4k laptop screen, is now easily visible and really big!! This alone should really boost my efforts at imaging. Highly recommended if you have a suitable shelter or observatory. Not so clever if you image from a puddled lawn under a threatening sky!

The L-shaped desk top is now proving itself as I fix the simple problems it raised. Not least in providing 100Mb/s Internet speed thanks to the new resting site for the laptop. Where it is no longer shielded from the home router by the pier, telescopes and mounting.

The drawer cabinet is neatly housing all the telescope's accessories. While providing easy access and protection beneath the desk without needing extra space on the floor. The snap-lid boxes are no longer shelf-mounted behind me which was always a problem. Sunlight would fall on that entire area during solar observation or imaging. No doubt leading to heating in the closed tubs.  

The 3.5" FT focuser is absolutely superb on the 7" refractor and even better with DC motor focusing. A vast improvement on the 2" Vixen focuser. It is absolutely secure, always perfectly aligned, moves and rotates easily and is rigid in its effortless support of my heavy prisms. Costly, but one of the best upgrades invested in my imaging progress.

I am still using the buttons on the red, HitechAstro box for remote focusing. Though the new 64 bit driver should be available soon. To provide remote and comfortable keyboard/onscreen focusing without searching for tiny buttons in the dark.

Tidying the observatory building downstairs made much more room. I have even made yards of clear shelf space for countless jars of screws etc. on the existing construction timbers. The jar contents are now easily seen and accessible for the first time ever. A bright, overhead LED light for this downstairs area was well worth installing. Its careful siting ensures it doesn't shine upstairs in the dome.

The effect of all my improvements is cumulative. Ease of use, comfort and efficiency provide much quicker access to use the telescopes. I can be viewing or imaging much more quickly. Without interruption, delays and endless confusion along the way. I spot the moon is out through the bedroom window and can be viewing, with tracking in under five minutes. I now have all the different leads for the laptop hanging in screw hooks ready for immediate insertion into the laptop's sockets. [Or ports for the pedantic.]

The steadily improving ease of use means I observe more often per week,  now, than I ever did in many months when it meant setting up out of doors. I have also raised my viewing level by enough to make observing far more worthwhile. Previously, it was like observing from the bottom of a well.

Many of the mental and physical hurdles to viewing have been removed. Everything I do from now on can only smooth my path to enjoying the sky. Solar observation and imaging have become a major interest. Allowing me to familiarize myself with the routines of setting up for observing or imaging in broad daylight.


*

No comments: