21.10.19

Monday 21st. More PST modding.

*

A regular contributor on Solar Chat Forum has given me some information related to the positioning of the 1:1.25 Baader GPC. It has to be placed at 160mm inside the focus of the telescope objective. Or 40mm in front of the PST etalon. This distance should convert my 150/8 to a 150/10. Which is a further option instead of stopping down the 150mm objective to 120mm. The proof of the pudding will be when I have the GPC installed. Will the extra aperture be obvious in image quality?

Well, that's odd. I just logged into TE's website to see why I've had no notice of dispatch. Where I was told five days for obtaining stock of my GPC. Now I have just had another email saying they have dispatched my order. Are they reading my blog? Delivery now expected on Wednesday 23rd.

Tuesday: I fitted a 2-pole switch in my power supply to the observatory. I'm still using 2-core extension leads with 2-pin plugs. No earth for garden and power tools.  It isn't safe to assume you have isolated the power with a simple switch. You could have isolated the Neutral and left the Live lead untouched. Cutting both Live and Neutral should be safer. IP44 rating provides splash proofing. As used in carports, garages and under roof overhangs.

I also added another LED white bulb and socket spaced 3' away from the original, high overhead in the dome. After blacking out the dome it was too dark to see much with a single 11W LED bulb. Particularly when I needed to work on something fiddly on the desk with the dome shutters closed. This happens more often than I would like. What with the present run of westerlies carrying endless cloud, continuous rain or showers.

Wednesday 23rd: With a low sun and occasional, fast moving cloud from the SW, I returned to checking the mounting alignment. Next time I shall remember to set the camera upright first on the SharpCap reticule. There wasn't much to see on the sun and only small proms.   It is breezy through the slit so I have to be careful the wind isn't moving the telescopes. Which can bias image movement on the screen. I now use the sun's image itself to adjust the mounting. This ensures I am not overdoing it. It is a nice coincidence that 200x zoom of the SC solar image perfectly matches the ring on the reticule. It completely clouded over by 12.00.

The Baader GPC turned up as promised. It has a clear aperture around 24-25mm. Probably just adequate given the 20mm of the PST etalon group. A full A4 side of printed details is all in German. No illustrations. I can probably find these details in English online. There is a plastic ring supplied with the GPC. The 2" [supposedly matching] adapter has a knurled ring on an external thread. The plastic ring, packed with the GPC, doesn't obviously fit the adapter being oversized. Nor does the thread on the GPC fit the oversized adapter. [See Pt.2.]


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: