6.10.19

Saturday 6th Problems and new chores to attend to.

*




A sequence of four videos were turned into still images and uploaded to YouTube as a short video. Though I have set the 4 second video to Loop I don't think this works with an embedded video unless you keep clicking on the video at the end of each cycle.

My apologies for the 4th frame being tilted relative to the rest. If I were more organised I would be careful about exact framing and rotation. It never occurred to me to do this until after the event.

I should capture lots more videos in one session and then process them identically. The latter is not at all easy when I am making subtle changes to colour, contrast and gamma.

I was back in the dome at 7pm but struggling for enough light for the ZWO camera. Nothing I did would get above 2.5 fps and then even less. The Moon looked dark on the screen even at maximum gain and exposure. Nearby Saturn wouldn't even show a dim glow on the screen! I feared the ZWO was broken but checked it in SharpCap on my PC indoors and all seemed well. The problem must lie with the laptop or its SharpCap software. There has been no sign of a camera problem on the Sun.

The 12V plug-in walwart I was using for the HitechAstro focuser PS had died on me. Not even a glow from the power LEDs. Even if I have to use the buttons on the control box it was better than handling the focuser knobs directly. I wonder if the promised driver has been released yet? The present HA driver instantly crashes SharpCap if it is selected in the SharpCap menus.

Now I need a shielded light outside the observatory for when I pack up after dark. Trying to lock up in the pitch black with a heavy laptop case in one hand is a struggle. It is actually quite unusual for me to be out there after dark. The combination of endless cloud and the planets being so low hasn't made it worthwhile so far this year.

The light from the computer monitor is proving useful inside the dome on the desk top. Though it is still not enough light for searching for items which haven't been used in a while. I feared it would be too bright but my eyes adjusted when AOC software refused to dim the screen.

The white overhead bulb is too bright even for lunar imaging. Though it is very useful for working in the dome during the day when the shutters are closed.

More red lights would be useful. I obtained some 250V 1W red LED bulbs online but they aren't exactly work lights. More of a very gentle wash to avoid bumping into things in the dark. The string of red LED Xmas lights provide no real light of their own. They are more like pinpoint, perimeter markers laid out along the base ring. 


*

No comments: