26.11.19

Remote etalon drive: Pt.7

 *


UPDATE: The 1.6mm strimmer line did not work. It fitted in the groove and could be forced under the outer shell, with a struggle, but the friction was far too high. [Though lower than the original O-rings]

I have now used 1.3mm strimmer monofilament but this is slightly undersized for a hard material. Slightly better than 1.3mm copper cored, plastic covered flex but not by much.

I hardly dare to suggest 1.5mm monofilament because I haven't tried it. Being softer, 1.6mm rubber O-rings might work but again I can't speak from experience. Slightly thicker O-rings might work just as well. Provided it was less than the original 2mm. If you order any online, without a hands on trial, then you are on your own.

After endless searching and failing to find a Danish dealer I ordered some 50mm x 1.5mm nitrile O-rings from the UK. Almost giveaway prices for a packet of 10 [£1.50] plus very modest postal charges. Delivery time unknown but they should fit in a tiny envelope. Letter post? Could be only a few days.

Still waiting for the 250mm 120T GT2 timing belts from a UK eBay dealer. The one size the Danish dealer was out of stock. Grr!

Wednesday: Have now ordered several diameters of o-ring [in pairs] from the UK with a 1.5mm cross section. 1.5mm is the missing size in monofilament. I am reliably informed that 47mm x 1.7mm o-rings work well for those who find their etalon too floppy. The linked UK business no longer stocks that size! I turned a mandrel to test the internal diameter of my own o-rings. 42mm x2mm. 

Thursday: Wet all day.

Friday: Sunshine promised but breezy from the north. Can I enjoy some imaging time? 



*

No comments: