19.12.19

19.12.19 Poor sunshine?

*

Thursday: It brightened up later in the morning so I set up for imaging. No Wi-Fi internet in the dome and HitechAstro focuser motor controller won't play with ASCOM again. Locked up the laptop requiring several restarts. Dreadful seeing conditions today with strong thermal currents on the solar limb and image softness. It stayed bright and clear for most of the day but video captures were few. I tried to capture the visible proms but the contrast was just too poor. The forecast was for a long, grey day.

Even with well-tightened 2" fittings, with three thumbscrews per joint, there is still sag at the camera end on my long PST stack.

I have dug out my 160mm steel tube which I had been storing in reserve for an improved, 6", DIY, H-a, solar refractor. This will allow much more space behind the lens where the CR150 has grazing incidence in a very mean, 140mm Ø Celestron tube.

I'm still looking at a rigid means of support for the PST filter stack. Being equatorially mounted means the stack must be fully supported regardless of orientation.You can't just extend the telescope's main tube backwards because you need full access to all the fiddly "bits and pieces."

So an open skeleton is indicated. A single, tubular beam would provide best access but may flex too much. There are no small enough, hinged tube rings for 2" fittings. Though there are "finder" rings. With extended thumbscrews for centring the image with the main telescope. These might offer what I need. I shall investigate what is on offer. £100-200 for a couple of Chinese cast alloy rings and a dovetail? You can't be serious? Definitely another DIY project in my stars.  

*

No comments: