29.12.19

29-12-19 Minor dome repairs.

 *

Sunday 29th 33-36F, dark overcast again. I extended a ladder up past the mounting to reach the top of the observation slit. A little cycle oil on all four draw slides [top and bottom] eased the remaining friction. The shutters could be then safely closed again from the dome floor. My wife spotted me standing at the top of the dome and saw me as a tank commander in my trapper, lambswool hat.

The top of the dome is showing the same damage to the paintwork as lower down. If I'm lucky there will be warm, dry spring and I can put a couple of coats of paint on the dome to reseal it. There will have to be some rubbing down to get rid of the loose undercoat primer. I expect the wood treatment paint would have been fine without the crappy, white undercoat.

I went around tightening the screws clamping the rubber skirt to the dome flashing. I had used stainless steel nuts and bolts. So they never corroded enough to remain tight. Particularly when subjected to the continuous rocking action of the skirt in the almost continuous wind. Nevertheless only one screw had fallen out since I fitted the skirt. I found it lying on the veranda. The nut and load spreading washer were still inside on the dome base ring.

While I was busy on other things, I gave the red diode string battery an hour of recharging using the diode table lamp on the desk. With the little solar panel placed close against the table lamp diode, the performance quickly returned to normal.

 

*

No comments: