15.12.19

Saturday 14th Dec.2019. Thermal issues in H-alpha modded telescopes.

 *

The forum discussion on the thermal stresses [if any] in an H-alpha telescope is ongoing. As soon as I see any sunshine I shall measure actual temperatures hitting thin, blackened, metal targets using the thermometer gun at close range. This would seem the best way to confirm real world temperatures, after the D-ERF, where the etalon sits in the beam. I just need to remove the long, filter stack from the focuser. Take a reading of my target. Then replace only the etalon and take readings behind it and at focus.

What should have been a simple procedure of a few moments is being endlessly delayed by the grey weather. We have a storm coming this afternoon with 55mph winds forecast. I am still waiting for drive belts for the etalon ordered a month ago on eBay[UK.] Plus some more O-rings. Which are still untraceable in the post. The local stockist is still sitting on my order for 240mm belts which were "temporarily" out of stock with a promised delivery in 1-2 weeks.


*

No comments: