1.2.20

1st February 2020 Equipment power and twin telescope balancing.

*

I bought a second, cheap, switched, 6 x multi-socket mains strip. Now I have a master switch for everything which doesn't need to be switched on until I am ready to start imaging: AWR drives PS, LED monitor PS, motor focuser PS, Etalon motor PS, Dew heater bands/controller PS. The dome lights can be left switched on, while I am working in there, without all the rest needing to be on too. Now I have several empty sockets in reserve.

In a previous post I was discussing the balancing of two different OTAs, side by side, on the same mounting:  It has now occurred to me that I just need to weigh each of them in their normal working condition. ie. Including the heavy solar wedge on the 7" and the PST  stack and camera on the 6". Then I just use the moment formula to calculate their overall offset relative to the Dec axis. Moment = Mass x Distance.

The normal, hinged tube rings set the minimum spacing because these need room to open and close as the hinged half swings in an arc. It would be too risky to use a "punishment stocks" form of clamping of two, such heavy objects. Though each OTA could be individually clamped. Like the split bearings in combustion engines. Though only if the minimum possible spacing between them was desired. My thinking is that close spacing will minimize the moment around the Declination axis shaft.


*

No comments: