26.2.20

26.02.2020 Removed 7" from mounting.

*

Wednesday: 36F, heavy overcast with light showers and feeling cold. 

I decided to remove the 7" f/12 to leave the 6" H-a telescope on its own. Though I may add the 90mm f/11 Vixen for white light. 

The complete 7" is too heavy to lift out of the rings for my personal comfort. So I used the overhead pulley system. Only removing the 180mm objective once the OTA was resting nearer the obs. floor on a crate. I may  build a counterbalanced, Berry style, fork mount for this telescope. It is really too heavy for the Fullerscopes MkIV.

Following the refitting of the 6"  via its tube rings, I had to add two brass weights to the saddle. This was to help to balance a single, 5kg counterweight and to make the 6" look much less nose heavy. These weights could be returned to my original, sliding weights on rails system, to easily balance the OTA. They could then cope changes like additional dewshield, cameras, etc.

The mounting feels very capable with only the 6" aboard. No overshoot or backlash. Though I still want to hinge and spring load the motor and worm housings into the wormwheels. Still looking for suitable hinges.

The stepladder does fit nicely in front of the veranda doors, as expected. It stands safely upright behind the trapdoor whether it is raised or lowered. The ladder is easily moved aside if I want access to the veranda.


*

No comments: