6.2.20

6.02.2020 More D-ERF woes!

*

Thursday 6th. Overcast.

The second example of 160mm D-ERF filter holder [cell] has arrived from Teleskop-Service. Unfortunately their machinists are still ignoring my exact instructions on internal dimensions.

Yet again they have made the front recess 160mm diameter instead of the required 161mm. So there would zero clearance for the 160mm glass filter!

The upside is that the rear recess has now been enlarged so that it now fits onto my iStar objective cell perfectly.

The 160mm filter holder [cell] weighs 550g. The filter cell is beautifully made and appears flawless. Note the protective lining felt and nylon screws to protect the glass filter and the telescope onto which it fits.

Once the filter glass is safely housed in its cell, when it actually fits, the total weight up front will be over 1kg. The 160mm Ø x 10mm thick D-ERF filter is a substantial lump of glass. My D-ERF is still with Teleskop-Service because they asked me to return it, with the original filter cell] to ensure they fitted each other!

Now expected to return the second holder for further correction.  Five weeks and counting, since my original order was accepted.  🙁 31.12.2019! Grr? Filter cell returned to Teleskop-Service this afternoon.

Friday 7th, 41F. Another overcast day. I tightened all the nuts on the baffle tree to make quite a rigid structure. After checking it would slide easily inside the main tube I removed it again. Then I painted all the baffles matt black with water based paint. It's a bit cool for paint but hopefully it will dry. I didn't paint the studding because that would make the nuts immovable if I ever want to dismantle the baffles.

*


No comments: