10.2.20

9.02.2020 Storm Ciara!

 *

Sunday 9th 41F: So much for trusting the Danish national weather service! I deliberately rotated the dome to face SW. The DMI shows south westerly severe gales all day. When the wind has been steadily, unchanged from the south. My sensitive wind vane is spinning like a top at times but never points steadily to the SW.

The independent TV2 station shows southerly gales until 7pm when it peaks and turns SW. I am watching the dome and the rubber skirts are rippling on the angled sides of the octagon. Presumably from updraughts from the observatory walls. While the southerly skirt is flattened against the base ring. I'm glad I left the inner plastic skirts in place. They prevent most of the wind getting in under the dome. Though I wish they weren't rippled. I used recycled plastic, lawn edging. I never found any other stiff-enough material, in sufficient width and length to be useful. It has to stand up on its own even in a gale.

Top wind speed today [Sunday 9th February] from storm Ciara, according to the Danish news, was 83mph in eastern, Southern Jylland. My dome is still up there. Though I shall have to wait until tomorrow to go and empty the rain collection tubs on the base ring. About 3/4" of rain was forecast for today.

Strong winds are still expected over the next few days. The storm is over 4000 miles across. Reaching from Florida to Scandinavia. British newspapers are describing it as The Storm of the Century. Several rungs down in media importance from the best and worst Oscar dresses! Yawn.


No comments: