29.3.20

29.03.2020 Northerly gales!

*

Sunday 29th March. Light overnight snow with fierce gales. Still blowing 35mph from the north in bright sunshine. It shouldn't blow into the dome itself but whether imaging is possible I shan't discover until I try. I will need my warmest clothing because I made the building as draughty as possible. Anything to try to reduce thermal effects from the sun. So, naturally, the wind whistles across under the observatory floor. Also up the open stairwell and around the gap in the cladding under the open, timber and plywood pier. 

The problem with my huge, pyramidal, pier design is when any ground floor storage bridges the gap between the pier timbers and the building itself. Gardening tools, offcuts of timber from the observatory build and other debris has tended to accumulate unnoticed. If the building shakes then the detritus can conduct those vibrations directly to the independent pier and thence to the telescope. Which is working on a very long focal length with considerable optical amplification of any movement.


No comments: