14.10.20

13.10.2020 A rant about online Feather Touch Focuser sales techniques.

*

To add to yesterday's misery of thick cloud my [partial] new focuser arrived yesterday. Well, bits of it anyway. I can't use it [at all] because there is no base adapter. Every single sales website illustration, online, shows the base adapter fitted. But most only list it in the small print as an "optional" extra. Sometimes somewhere down near the bottom of the web page.


Without the base adapter the FTF focuser is just a very expensive bit of scrap metal! A real cynic could easily call these online sales tactics a scam! You buy a focuser mechanism, but it needs an FTF eyepiece adapter. Plus an FTF base adapter. Which fits another FTF adapter to suit your particular telescope or FTF base plate. 

That is four items in total before the focuser is complete and now fully functional. Yet the normal sales pattern is to list only the price of the mechanism beside an image of a complete FTF focuser with two, vital adapters already fitted. Everything else is listed as "optional." 

I found only one, online dealer who made it very clear that the adapters were necessary and had boxes to select during purchase. 

One dealer did not show the eyepiece adapter at all until a specific focuser was chosen. Then it was right at the very bottom of the page as if by afterthought. 

Shouldn't ALL the online dealers automatically point out that the focuser is absolutely useless without these extra [and very costly] adapters?

Though it must be said that the manufacturer's own website clearly states that adapters are necessary in bright red text. Certainly not "optional" as many online sales websites word it. What about wording these adapters as "absolutely vital" on ALL FTF sales websites?

Would it completely destroy FTF sales if the full price was printed clearly up front? Who visits the manufacturer's website every time you are making a purchase from a more local, online dealer, anyway? 

Is there any other focuser which needs four separate purchases to function at all? Each part has a weird [Metric] thread size just to ensure their purchase. All, at well over €150 extra [Euros] each! 

I found only one dealer's website including the two vital adapters in the correct, full price. Many websites are very vague about these, NON-OPTIONAL expenses! One online dealer even quoted the base price for the mechanism stating clearly that the image showed it complete at that same, base price. Very dodgy sales practice IMO. 

* €719 For the basic FTF2535 rack and pinion/drawtube mechanism.
+ €168 for the 2" adapter
+ €189 for the base adapter
+ €154 for the flat base plate
= €511 + €719
= €1230 total.

This is a 1:1.4 ratio in pricing between the basic R&P focuser mechanism and the three, vital adapters. BTW: The US price is much lower than in Europe.

Add caption

Some will argue that I did not need to choose this specific manufacturer's products. Why not? I think that FTF focusers are superb. Their finish and function is flawless as befits their price. They ooze quality.

My point is that I wanted this particular focuser but I think I should have been told the full price up front. As well as all the vital parts I needed to order to use the focuser as intended. Now I will have to wait more days, pay €189 extra, plus €19 postage for the missing part. Without which I have no functional focuser.  

Some will argue that I should be happy that FTF supplies so many different options. While that may be true, up to a point, there are two adapters which, I believe, must be considered minimum standard fittings. One to fit internationally recognized, standard 2" eyepieces and equipment. 

The other to adapt the unusual base to fit a range of telescopes. Without which there is no way to safely and adequately support the focuser mechanism. Without which "the car has no wheel hubs" to support the choice of after-market wheels. I had ordered the flat plate adapter. Which should have triggered an automatic notice that I'd need the base adapter shown in every online sales image. There must be few amateur astronomers who can manage to make a matching M95x1mm thread.

"Buy your brand new car now! It has no steering wheel, exhaust or fuel tank! These are all optional extras. But it has a very fine engine!" 😇 

My dealer has apologised for the mix-up, and deleted my postage charges. I should have the base adapter in the post on Friday. I am certainly looking forward to using it. Once I have used and enjoyed its superb abilities, I may even delete this post. My frustrations in procuring this superb focuser will be at an end.

 
 
*

 

No comments: