10.1.21

10.01.2021 Would a dome, by any other name, smell as sweet?

 *

You can blame the cold, wet and miserable, winter weather. For my recent flood of text and images. On the modification of a calf rearing, hemispherical shelter into a "proper" domed observatory. 

The rain and subsequent leaks, of my home made, plywood dome, has certainly driven me further down this path. Coating the damaged dome in GRP would have been expensive, dangerous of access, unsightly and probably, quite short-lived. 

Moreover I needed more room for my telescopes to swing. Even if I don't currently own "a Cat." [Catadioptric telescope.] The 7" f/12 has always been denied a dewshield due to severe, clearance problems. Nor can I get behind the eyepiece at low elevations due to the proximity of the plywood base ring. Trying to use the binoviewer "straight through" was an exercise in frustration. Made worse by the lack of inward focus if I added a star diagonal or solar wedge.

Borrowing the "off the shelf" hemispherical form of a calf igloo, as a donor shell, was always too obvious to miss. I had abandoned the idea earlier due to its much greater size and considerable weight. Leading to a horribly complicated and rather undernourished plywood, trapezoid observatory. Of attractive but decidedly, non-weatherproof form.  

The need for an entirely "one man band" construction effort has been slightly softened this time. I shall have a telescopic front loader place the completed dome on top of its building. Though the entire project is still rather daunting. Which is why I am rehearsing every detail in my mind and posting it here. Do not be offended if I say that this monologue is largely for my own benefit. Time and cost savings must be made by avoiding "unplanned idiocy."

Even acceptance of the basic "starter kit" is fraught with potential dangers and blunders. The parts are essentially simple but on a scale rarely attempted by a solo, septuagenarian DIY ATM-er. A farmer, or professional builder, would simply shrug off the difficulties and bring in more labour. Or hire a bigger machine. Machine access is poor and the pandemic means that employing a "carpenter's mate" is a complete non-starter. 

My wife is mostly supportive. Provided I don't erect a snow white monstrosity up there. There shall be no "White Elephant Observatories." Not in Her garden room!

Her latest addition to the list of potential names for said observatory made me smile:

"Stargrazer Observatory" is clever, apt, subtle, yet amusing in equal measure. I rather like this one.

There were some earlier, rather more obvious variations on: "Milky Way Observatory." Perhaps too obvious a connection to the young, bovine inhabitants being denied a potential home? 

Then there was "Taurus" The Bull constellation. A little too close to the derogatory term for "natural fertiliser" for my liking. 


*


No comments: