11.1.21

11.01.2021 Avoiding heavy lifting.

 *

I have been wondering/worrying about handling [for local transport and assembly] the large and heavy dome segments. 70kg = 160lbs. Definitely a two man job. The answer was staring me in the face. I have regularly used lashed together stepladders. With a chain hoist. For lifting my massive mounting.

Much the same methodology can be applied to handling the much lighter, individual dome segments. I can employ my 3x4 pulley block system. With 1m [loop] strops slipped over each end of the segment. Join the loop strops with a rope and I can easily manage the segments while working alone. 

I have just ordered a couple of longer slings to ensure I can wrap them safely around the segments. These slings are protected by a woven sock. Which will protect the fibreglass panels. Where rope would tend to cut into the edges.

Lifting the assembled dome [14' or 4.3m Ø & 500lbs or 220kg] requires sufficient height and spacing for stepladders to manage the lift via a chain hoist. Clearance from the ladders is a problem. I have three, folding, builder's stepladders. So I can lash one in the middle. As an inverted V [or even a Pi shape] over two straightened ladders. To add considerably more room beneath the ladders. 

Handy for lifting the very bulky dome without hitting the undersides of the ladders. The stepladders have steady bars across their feet. Providing remarkable stability. The lifts will be of very limited height. So there is little danger of toppling. These stepladders are individually rated at 330lbs or 150kg. They are usually referred to as "multi-purpose" or "hinged ladders."

Lifting the [12] x 35kg, heavy [80lb] concrete foundation blocks into their excavated holes is very hard work. Until a length of timber is used as a lever over the back of the sack truck. Effortless antigravity at its best! With full control over pan and tilt. I just tried it and there is no need for a great length of 2x4 as a lever. 

I need several sheets of plywood for making arcs for the base ring template. So that I can place the foundation blocks accurately. The builder's merchants are closed to private customers due to the pandemic, lockdown restrictions. Though there is a "pay and collect" system available. The cost and difficulty of delivery to the door makes a collecting trip most likely. 

I am still waiting for the rain to end. So that I can mark and cut out the arcs outdoors. There is no room to handle full sheets of ply in the shed. I need to be able to swing a 2.1m radius bar to one side of the sheet.  

13.1.2021 A cold day with gales and wet, snow showers. The 2m long x 3T rating, round lifting slings have turned up a day later than promised by the website. These will be handy for getting the dome segments into the garden.


*

No comments: