30.1.21

30.01.2021

 *

Saturday 30th 28/26F Hard white frost but a clear sky.  I am set up for imaging. Not much to see on the sun. The 6" objective is dewed as usual. Dew heaters showing 73F on the digital thermometer.  

I have a metal cap with an inch of insulation inside. A non-metallic cap might help. My keyboard doesn't like the cold!  Lots of keys not working! 

The image shows how lost in shrubbery is my dome despite it being raised.

10.48 31/28F I have just tried a capture but it wasn't worth the photons. The sun has reached 14° altitude.

11.04 32/28F I am seeing more surface texture as the dew spot shrinks. Still 3" across. The dew heater has reached 77F.

12.11 34/30F Became bored so buried another block. To make six. The Ist dew heater has now reached 81F. Objective still dewed. Soft focus. The Astrozap 2nd band reached only 63F for the same setting on the Astrotech 4-way control box.

12.35 36/31F No improvement in contrast.

 13.00. Stopped for lunch.

I made the observation slit 80cm wide on the 3m plywood dome. That looked to be the best scale to me from the outside. So about 1/4 Ø. Though the slit looks narrower from the inside. Not too onerous to keep advancing it to follow the sun with my friction wheel drive. The general opinion seems to suggest 1/3 Ø. Though that is probably more for reflectors and SCTs. 

New dome = 4.3/4 = 1.075m. About 20cm or 8" wider than the present slit. Wide enough?


*

No comments: