23.2.21

23.02.2021 Musings on swapping domes.

 *

I think it would be premature to dismantle the old dome until I have received, assembled and completely modified the new dome. The longer the old dome is missing, the worse the potential degradation of the observatories contents. Or, the more likely the contents will have to be protected. Or, completely removed to safe/dry/secure storage. This will probably happen anyway. Though doing so now would remove the ability to use the observatory, as normal, until the new dome is finally in place. 

One month has now passed of the promised 4-6 weeks. For delivery of the dome "kit of parts" from Italy. The winter weather has not allowed rapid progress on the new and larger, observatory building. I am learning to be more patient. Particularly as I am not enjoying the same level of fitness and health as I was back in 2017. 

When I built the octagon and plywood dome by making it up as I went along. I feel much more confident about my design choices this time. Because I have learnt from all my mistakes and the several years of vital, hands-on experience and modification. Until I had actually built my observatory I had no idea what really mattered. 

My hope is that the preformed GRP dome will provide the weather protection this one sorely lacked. By using the animal enclosure as a donor form, I have no need to go through the lengthy rigmarole. Of building a geometric, wooden nightmare chock full of compound mitres. 

I now have the power tools and some useful experience in their use this time. While I had to purchase and practice on them to become proficient back then.  Along with all the mods and added jigs I needed at the time. Or never finish the dome! Not least to make the tools much more portable for somebody of my age group. Building site power tools are designed for young and fit people. Who spend every day lugging them around. One mistake at my age and I could cause damage to myself which prevented further activity. It is all too easy to take my fitness completely for granted. Then spend weeks regretting it as I slowly recover.

 

*

 

No comments: