3.2.21

3.02.2021 Poor seeing conditions! 😉

 *

Wednesday 3rd February. Snow is expected to continue all day. It amounted to about 125mm/ 5" on flat surfaces. Though with some drifting.

Thursday 4th and Friday 5th. The snow has blown through the floppy rubber skirt beneath the shutters onto the observatory floor. I had turned the shutters into the wind to avoid precisely this problem but to no avail. I really ought to have backed up the rubber skirt just there but hadn't. It was handy for looking out without having to open the shutters when it was wet or windy.

There is also a gap between the shutter ribs and the slit ribs when the shutters are closed. Which made me fear major spindrift incursion if the shutters had been sideways onto the wind. Not a major problem and I shall easily clear up the snow long before it melts. Another ten days of continuous frost are forecast. 

The wintry conditions have caused a major halt to burying foundation blocks for the larger observatory perimeter. I continue to rehearse all the required steps in my mind. Even spending some hours watching YT videos on the means to handling large and heavy loads while working alone. 

I still like my earlier plans for a very large trolley built from 2x4s. With the doubled, trailer pilot wheels, with jacks, to aid easy movement, rotation, levelling and lifting. Bridged ladders with my chain hoist, boat winch and pulley blocks will all provide backup when needed. For assembly of the segments and other tasks. Each segment weighs 160lbs. Which is not a suitable weight to be lifting at my age.

 

*






*

No comments: