16.3.21

16.03.2021 Whoopsidaisy?

 *

Tuesday 16th 32-45F and thick mist. We were promised all day sunshine. My arms and shoulders are aching after yesterday's foolish battle with the malfunctioning trolley. 

The present, inverted orientation of the [three + 1 spare top section] nested segments is not at all helpful. Righting them into a proper, hemispherical dome will require some ingenuity. The individual segments are far too heavy to handle alone. [70kg/180lbs] 

I have now deleted the long-winded discussion on how to remove of segments from the trolley. First I used the boat winch to pull the trolley towards the edge of the parking space. Which allowed me to drive the car and trailer out. I fetched some more 2x4s and coach bolts from the builders merchants. This gave me time to rethink the problem concerning the trolley.

If a pair of strong young blokes can handle the segments. Then so can a strong and determined old fool like myself. 

So I took the wheels off one side of the trolley to tip it downwards. Leaning towards the target landing area. Then I slid each segment gently forwards. Until they could be tipped onto their lower edges on scraps of protective board. 

By standing at the pointed end I could safely control them as each segment was gently flopped "upright." Once they were standing on one, curved edge I could walk the segments forwards. Though with great difficulty. That said, they are now much more manageable than lying on their backs as rain collectors! The last, base segment still needs to be raised in the first two images. It being the lowest in the stack on the trolley. It did not enjoy the same degree of tipping over the edge of the trolley. I had to use rather more effort to get it safely up on its base edge.

The large "targets" on the [typically rough] GRP inside surfaces are water marks. From where the segments had been stored outdoors facing the sky. Presumably for quite some time. Meanwhile, the shiny outer sides are far more scuffed than I would like. Though some minor scratches responded to a rub with my glove. I believe that Gel coat restorers are available.

I do appreciate that these things are intended as agricultural buildings, but still. Removing them from the lorry using a fork lift truck would have been preferable. I just didn't have one available. 

The crane and lifting strops allowed the segments to slip and rub against each other. Causing the scratches. Having to shed the huge volume of HEAVY water, which had collected between them, did not help!

The cleverly moulded, external facets alter the the light and colour in a pleasing way. This will help to disguise its presence in the rural scene once installed on the enlarged building. The finish is claimed to be thermally reflective. After several hours of sunshine in 45F ambient the GRP still felt cold to the touch. Not truly indicative of likely summer conditions but certainly positive. I was certainly warm myself while working in the bright sunshine all afternoon. Spent completely dismantling the trolley and struggling to move segments. 

I have now reversed the second base segment's orientation. It needs to take the place of the other one in the now, very crowded, parking space. This will allow one of the roof segment to be fitted between them. I shall practice moving the segments on boards tomorrow. Dragging them across the bare ground is very hard work. I tried using a sack truck but it didn't help. The ground is just too uneven and the segments far too large and heavy. 

I'd suggest having at least three strong adults present if you are tempted to assemble this 14' calf dome. The problem is finding somewhere for more than two people to grasp the segments. You can only have one worker at each end. The middle top it far too high to reach! Lifting it off the ground to find room for more hands under the lower edge takes serious muscle power. Using grippy rubber gloves on the usefully textured GRP I can barely lift one end clear of the ground! Who are you calling a wimp? 😎

The segments measure 210cm maximum width. [Ignoring the different edges and overlapping joints.] The sagitta, below a straight edge bridging the opposite sides, is about 30cm. Which can hold a huge volume of rainwater! Along the curved length is 5.2m. Only 4.3 meters, in a straight line, from the curved doorway to the pointed end.  

I measured a maximum of 4.2m from the doorway to the 1m wide point. To provide the 2x 50cm wide shutter material. The 1/6 "equator" is 2.2m wide at its widest on the roof sections. This includes an overlap on both, long sides of course. All measurements are approximate due to the top/roof section having two external overlaps. 

Both base segments [handed] L&R have one solid edge where they meet the ground. and one internally overlapping edge. Forming a sort of halving joint with the roof. With the top/roof section[naturally]  overlapping both base sides to shed the rain. I haven't measured the joint widths yet. It was already dark when I realised I had no numbers to play with. So I nipped out with a torch and a fibreglass tape.

A roll of soft, malleable tape is provided to ensure weather tightness at the joints. The supplied roll was in a canvas bag. Along with the short, coach bolts and everything was literally sopping wet from the recent rain. I am allowing it to dry naturally to see if the sealant can still be used. Any hint of adhesive properties is presently, totally absent. The sheer number and weight of the sturdy, galvanized, coach bolts and matching nuts is difficult to believe. 

A PDF file of the assembly instructions was provided by the dealer on acceptance of my order.

*

No comments: