19.7.21

19.07.2021 Base ring arcs and "Solar Astronomy."

 *

Monday 19th 69-72F, cloudy start but brightening. 

Being denied the sun meant I had to do some work on the new dome. So I made seven more [base ring] arcs to match the pattern I made yesterday. I'll drag out the reserve stock of 12mm birch ply and mark out some more arcs. There is room for seven arcs on one sheet. I'll cut them out, close to the lines, with my jigsaw. Then use the pattern again for trimming with the router. 

At the end of a hot day [72F] working in sunshine, I had 16 arcs neatly trimmed.

I don't think I mentioned that ASCOM[AWR] no longer recognises COM3. "Does not exist" for several days now. So I have no planetarium support. The serial adapter no longer flashes either. 

I tried imaging but the seeing was beyond dreadful all day. Even in the late afternoon when [normally] at its best between 18.00 and 19.00. Quickly followed by immersion into the local trees.

My English language copy of "Solar Astronomy" has been delivered. It is packed with information on every aspect of solar astronomy and has countless images on high quality paper. Truly a reference work for anybody interested in the sun. With a very determined lean towards the serious, amateur solar observer and imager.

Types of solar instruments are discussed in great depth. Including the complex constructions by some incredibly advanced amateurs. Cameras, filters, etalons and image processing are all covered. With enough maths to satisfy any audience. 

The quality of many of the solar images is beyond belief! Setting standards which this particular, bumbling amateur can only ever dream of achieving. The dedication required to capture and process such images is astounding. The books provides careful analysis of the methods, science and results for every level and for every taste.

With a soft cover, A4 format and 2cm thick, with 478 pages, this important volume weighs a ton! To the amateur solar enthusiast it is worth its weight in gold. 

Solar Astronomy Book | Observing, imaging and studying the Sun  [Axilone Astronomy 2021]


*

No comments: