22.7.21

22.07.2021 Spherical shutters meet at last!

 Thursday 22nd 69F. Overcast again.

I cut out and fitted plywood, zenith profile boards to the slit, cross braces. A second profile doubled the thickness of the zenith board. I also bent up some angle brackets out of roofing plates. These fix the corners of the slit ribs and zenith board together using lots of well spaced screws.

I should now be able to lay the shutter covers over these raised profiles so that they lie together correctly. And they did! Of course they did. With a struggle. They are ridiculously heavy yet flexible! I used some light ratchet straps to secure the shutter panels in place against the slit ribs. Otherwise they might slide down overnight if there is a wind.

The next step is to trim the remaining shutter horizontally across the bottom. I had done this to one shutter but left the other untouched. Which caused it to rest on one corner in a rather unstable manner. 

I shall use the laser level this time. The first was trimmed using a builders level as a guide. Worse, I did so without the shutters being properly supported as spherical units. The resulting cut line remains a bit of an unknown. Now I have the shutters correctly aligned and spherically supported I can correct any [hopefully slight] error.

 

*

No comments: