26.8.21

26.08.2021 Cloud!

 *

Thursday 26th 52-56F, bright start. Cloud promised for later. I might manage some imaging this morning. Hopefully the soft focus sky conditions, due to the overhead jetstream, will have moved on. Though it seems it is still there over the North Sea and directly over Scandinavia.

Jetstream Forecast - Jetstream Map Updated Four Times Daily - Netweather.tv

I'm glad I kept the tarpaulin on the dome. It rained in the afternoon [yesterday] before brightening later.

After much confusion the new polyester resin parcel is back in the system. The tracking had been following the last one back to the vendor. Not to the parcel pickup point. Hopefully I can collect it around lunch time today. SMS notification has been received.

09.20  56F, plates of broken cloud crossing from the north. It has arrived much earlier than forecast. Waiting for a clearance for my first capture.

AR2860 in the middle, south east quadrant looks promising. With several spots. It is not looking so promising now. As the cloud becomes much more dense! Only 200 frames of cloud captured in the last 10 minutes. Not enough for AS!3 to recognise anything. I had better get on with the dome. 

Working on the shutters seemed like the best idea. I fitted rubber washers to all the shutter, bracket fixing bolts. Of which there are many. With the rubber squashed under the mushroom heads they should not leak any rain. I shall also silicone seal the edges of the GRP shutters to their plywood ribs. Later, I will add rubber washers to the upper bolts holding the dome segments together. I noticed a couple of these bolts were leaking slightly after heavy rain.

Best not to take any chances when they are so inaccessible after the big lift. It will be difficult to work through the open slit once the dome is in place on the building. Because the shutters will be in the way. Working on the dome from the ground will be difficult to dangerous. It will require secure fixing points on the outside of the dome for tying [or hooking?] on the ladders. An option worth exploring before it is too late. Eyebolts could replace some of the segment fixing bolts. The dome provides very little sideways restraint for ladders on its gently curved, polished surface.

13.00 It rained just as I had finished replacing the last bolt on the shutters. So no fibre-glassing today. Showers continued as I collected my resin parcel in the afternoon. With rain and cooler temperatures forecast for the next three days.


*

No comments: