21.12.21

21.12.2021 The [near] impossibility of building a second floor, cross axis mounting.

*

I tried imaging mid-afternoon on Sunday 19th. The sun promptly sank below the ridge of the house! If the telescope had been another foot higher it would have been clear enough to capture. Albeit with thermal issues from the warm roof. Given I now have this information I should have built the observatory at least a foot higher. 

I wonder if that is possible with the planned, cross axis mounting? I have been intending to match the axis crossing height of my present DIY mounting. 

Increased height might be worth serious consideration. The new dome should he be high enough for clearance. If not, I could add a riser ring to the top of the expanded building. Is it really worth all that extra effort and delay? I am not sure that it is. 

Then we have to look at the increased demand on solid, but totally isolated support for the north bearing of a cross axis. The observatory is two stories high. Which adds meters of height just to reach the floor. Already 2.7m above the ground. Now imagine a soaring tower to rigidly support the north bearing. A chimney block structure? How big does the foundation block need to be for that? I am beginning to see how colossal the structure would need to be.

I need to be able to hang 2m long telescopes from both ends of the Declination axis. This will give me the ability to use the 10" f/8 for lunar imaging. The 10" would balance the 7" f/12 and 6" f/10 H-a solar refractors. Without needing massive counterweights.

I do NOT want to be remounting individual telescopes once any of them are installed. They are too heavy, too bulky, too fragile and far too awkward for that. Even with a 3x4 block and pulley the job is VERY hard work. It has to be carried out from a stepladder with access to the lifting rope at the same time as I am fixing bolts between the telescope and a huge saddle.

My stainless steel bolts have arrived in the post. Excellent service from Birger and PostNord!


*

No comments: