20.6.22

20.06.2022 The cat.

*

 Monday 20th 55F. I hope to do some solar H-a imaging if it remains clear. Meanwhile, a cat found its way up. Onto the new dome's, enlarged base ring. 

 It kept going round and around, desperately trying to find a way down. Presumably having climbed up inside. In the gap between the two, nested, but offset buildings. 

 Eventually it dropped down inside and out of sight. By the time I went over to check there was no sign of it.

 My desire to complete the new dome. Then have crane hire lift it into place. Is slowly returning. I had completely lost interest after the sudden death of my wife. The new dome is being used for temporary, construction timber storage. Rather than tidy my shed alongside. Which doesn't lend itself to timber storage. Meanwhile the old dome is steadily becoming more dilapidated. The shutters are now difficult to close. Requiring pushing with a long alloy pole.  

 I ought to be brave and start dismantling the present set-up. The telescopes have to be brought into safe storage. Followed by the massive mounting being lowered by chain hoist. Only then can the old dome be separated into its gores and lowered individually to the ground. The new dome is directly below the old one. So I can't just drop the gores over the edge of the observatory building. 

 The gores are held together with literally hundreds of stainless steel bolts. Fortunately I can now use a powered driver to remove them. I used s spanner and hex key last time. Which was very time consuming. I also have a new DeWALT rechargeable jigsaw. To cut out the new and larger, plywood top ring. 

 The old mains driven, Bosch jigsaw was years old and worn out. Making cutting of precision arcs a real trial. The blade would wander all over the place. 

 I can't use my laser level. To ensure the top ring is perfectly level. Until the old dome has gone. This was the problem with the 2x8 timber ring. Which is clearly not level when seen edge-on from upstairs indoors. The old dome blocks the laser beam from reaching the larger footprint.

 The 14' high, pyramidal, telescope pier would then have to be moved 65cm towards the SW. To bring it central in the new building. Even that involves lots of hard work. New concrete footings must be buried under the feet in their new positions. I can then use the resited pier to support the laser.


*


No comments: