27.6.22

27.06.2022 Cross-axis mast support?

 *

 Monday 27th 58F, thundery downpours.

 I just realised that there is a potential support for the north bearing of a cross axis mounting in my raised dome. A lattice TV-radio mast. These were once popular in Denmark for mounting TV aerials. The undulating landscape made it difficult to receive terrestrial signals. German TV was also popular when Denmark's TV was so limited. Now everybody has satellite TV or online streaming.

 These lattice masts came in sections and could be built to tremendous heights. There is a steady secondhand market for these masts. Often with the stipulation that the buyer takes the mast down. 

 The problem is not just dealing with the height but also the weight. Many were made of solid steel. Rather than tubular. The length of the sections adds to the difficulty or getting these things home. Probably involving the hiring of a crane mounted, delivery truck.

 New masts are available but expensive. Aluminium lattice masts are made too. I nearly bought a section of mast locally for my pier. Then developed a bad back. The mast had gone when I returned to see if was still available. Probably just as well. How would I have lifted it safely into place without a crane? I went with the 4x4" timber pyramid and plywood cladding instead. Hard work but manageable.


*

No comments: