25.7.24

25.07.2024 Demolition continues!

 ~*~

  Thursday 25th. Warm and sunny. I spent most of the day dismantling the outer observatory building. I had to remove more of the plywood cladding. This took some time because of the poor ladder access through the trees growing close behind the building. 

 First I had to remove all the plywood leaning against the building. I just laid it in a stack on the ground. It was already wet from all the rain while standing on edge.

 Then it was a matter of removing umpteen 6" screws. Which were holding the vertical frames together. I had rather foolishly hidden many of these screws with the 50x100mm noggings. The horizontal timber braces. 

 No matter how many screws I removed there were always more. So that the frames refused to be pulled over with a long rope. 

 The image shows the result of today's activity. Most of the horizontal timbers have gone. I had deliberately made the larger building separate from the original, inner one. It is just a matter of searching out the last of the screws. They are all driven just under the surface so are difficult to spot.

 The DeWalt screwdriver is noisy but excellent for this job. Having enough torque to undo even a 6"/150mm Torx screw. Without viciously twisting my hands and wrists as the electric drill had done. When I was inserting the screws. I need to dismantle the observatory to reclaim all the concrete carport anchors. With which I supported the timber uprights. On both the later and older buildings. 

 The shrub growing wildly in the foreground was supposed to have disappeared. When I started spreading gravel to level the area. I had cut it right down but it has come back with a vengeance!  It produced pretty flowers when it half hid the observatory. It had been there for 28 years.

 

 

  ~*~

No comments: