10.2.12

MV80 V Philips webcam.

*
Feb 10th 2012

I had bought a tiny MV80 video camera as a supermarket cheap offer. Twice the price after buying a micro memory card. 8GB Class 6 Silicon Power.

Used as a webcam the MV80 exceeds the image quality of my Philips SPC230NC webcam. This is quite noticeable on full screen on my 23" Philips LCD monitor. Both claim a 640x 480 resolution. I used the supplied MV80 webcam (Amcap) software  for both cameras. I have no idea if this favoured the mV80. The Philips software seemed not to improve matters over the Amcap.   

I have never tried webcam astro imaging due to a lack of a laptop computer. So I am limited to the length of a long USB cable.

The MV80 Spycam beside a USB stick. It has a tiny lens which better suits digiscoping compared with many digital cameras. Fitting it to the digiscoping adaptor should not be difficult.

Two planets and the Moon are south at the moment so I might just be able to capture something through an upstairs window. The recent winter weather has been harsh. With lying snow, winds and very low temperatures at night. Down to at least -2F, -19C. Foolishly low for observing out on the open lawn.

The first example of this camera proved to have a dud battery which would not charge. The second had been opened and was probably returned goods. The third can't even get itself recognised by the computer so is going back! I tried two different micro memory cards to no avail. 


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments: