30.7.17

AWR Stepper Drivebox Firmware IC Upgrade

*

Last evening's drives trial reminded me that AWR Technology had sent me a firmware upgrade chip a while back. 

The new 40 pin chip has the version number written on a label and a white spot to indicate orientation. The spot goes towards the long edge of the PCB. 

How difficult could it be? I collected a useful toolkit together and worked on a window ledge for better light. The weighted rubber hammer stayed in the workshop.

 Getting the original chip out was the easy part. I used a small, flat bladed screwdriver at first and then employed a larger one. Making sure that the chip rose evenly required gentle levering from each end. A 'boundary hedge' of yellow components near the edge of the PCB required some care to avoid damage. I hope you'll forgive all the technical language used here.

Getting the new chip back in was rather more difficult. Despite my slow and careful approach a single pin managed to get slightly bent where it was hidden behind an upstanding component. I removed the chip again, straightened the pin and reinserted. Careful examination of each pin through a magnifying glass followed as even more gentle lowering progressed..

With frequent grasps of a nearby radiator pipe, in case of static, I finally managed to get the chip safely back in. A final squeeze ensured it was as flat as it would likely to go without the assistance of a heavy workshop vice or G-cramp.

This is obviously the sort of task which gets easier with practice. This was my first ever attempt at chip insertion so one slightly bent pin was a slightly better score than the experienced chap on a YT how-to video.

Now all I have to do is light the blue touchpaper and wait for the magic smoke to rise.

To my shame I have all but forgotten the instructions for use of the AWR drives. After the initial excitement I have been too busy making castles in the air to do any observing.   

I did remember the sequence of ever-slower drive speeds for centering the moon in the eyepiece. So I do seem to have a few remaining marbles left.

The quality of the PCB and general construction is very satisfying to this relative electronics novice. Having seen the insides of quite a bit of hifi equipment and computers, as each eventually died over time, I'd call this AWR kit a very neat job. I wish my photography did it better justice but the light is poor as the sky darkens for a wet day with heavy, thundery showers.

I'll update this piece after testing for magic smoke.

Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments: