18.3.19

18.03.19 Solar Spot the spot!

*

Monday 18th. It took a long time for the heavy cloud to clear. NW winds are from behind the dome today.

11.10 50/46F White cloud still racing across Nothing obvious in WL.

In H-a: The large, dark filament is even more noticeable today with bright plage nearby. Only brief spells of sunshine between clouds. Filament appears like a slightly meandering river leading to a delta.

11.20 WL: Small complex spot 1/3 in from my 9.00. Pushed the power up to 220x [10mm with the Baader SC filter] Spot appears oval [egg-shaped?] with detail off to one side. Coincided with continuous, grey, heavy cloud. Grr!

11.50 51/46  More cloud! Spot finally resolved at 300x 15mm x2 Barlow. Nucleus and debris leading off in a tail.

Trying to capture the spot with Neximage5. Solid cloud! Except for the huge area of blue overhead! Cloud now arriving more from NW than W. Only a few seconds clear in over half an hour!

I need a sunscreen over the laptop! The higher sun [when present] is finding the weaknesses in my winter set-up.

Afternoon sun, with cloudy interruptions, allow me to record 20 videos of 1000 frames of the sun spot, at prime focus, in white light. I ran a random video through Registax 6 to provide the image. This was a really tiny sunspot! I missed it on my first WL scan of the disk for anything interesting.
No doubt I can squeeze just a little more out of it in Registax if only I knew how to adjust the sliders.

Tuesday 19th. Full sun forecast all day! The dome is already sparkling from a light, overnight frost. Hardly any wind at the moment. My wife says I should be wearing sun block because of the hours of exposure. I do have black foam screens to protect my face from the glare when at the eyepiece. This increases contrast and is much more comfortable than being half blinded by direct sunlight. I also sit out of the sun when at the laptop but am I seriously considering a trolley for mobility. For when the sun rises and shines through the slit later on.

Click on any image for an enlargement.


*

No comments: