1.3.19

1st March 2019 Binoviewer on its way.

*

Friday 1st: My replacement TS binoviewers should be delivered on Monday. For lower power views of the sun binoviewers are excellent. Stereoscopic vision helps to hide floaters in the eyes. I also found them to greatly ease seeing fine detail in the subtle, solar, surface texture. I never used anything higher in power than 20mm for 65x in the modified 6".  Allowing for the glass path increase in magnification due to the increase in effective focal length.

Then I discovered the serious misalignment caused problems at higher powers. Before that it was fun to float over the surface of the moon at 100x in the 7". Naturally I wanted to get closer. I was becoming used to going straight to 220x using only one eyepiece.

It was then that it soon proved impossible to avoid serious eye strain. I could get the powers easily with GPCs or Barlows. Using them caused eye strain, nausea and persistent eye problems even after I stopped trying.

Now I am really looking forwards to being able to use higher powers. Short focus eyepieces are not the best answer to achieve higher powers. A GPC or Barlow allows the comfort of longer focus EPs to be used. Without the problems of trying to merge images through two eyepieces with very small lenses. My 7" f/12 offers high powers without needing short focus eyepieces thanks to its 2160cm [2260mm glass path corrected] focal length. As can be seen in the tables above. Adding a GPC or Barlow to the nosepiece of the binoviewer will usually more than double the effective focal length.



*

No comments: