8.4.19

8.04.19 Solar Neximage5 and UPS problems.

*

Monday 8th: 

09.00am. 47/45F, bright and sunny but much cooler and windy from the north. Sky clearer than ever. 

In white light the new spot is already a nice feature on the eastern limb as it moves noticeably further onto the visible disk. An area of disturbed surface texture trails the spot towards the limb. A smaller spot lies near the major feature. The larger spot shows clear umbra and penumbra. With fine surface texture visible in steady moments. I have already increased the power to 145x to better study the active region.

In H-alpha the detail is exquisite but increasingly disturbed by thermal effects on the limb. As usual I am using the binoviewers in H-a. 32mm EPs with the WO Barlow nosepiece for a large and full disk. Power unknown but at least 80x.

I shall soon start trying to image the AR with the Neximage5. It keeps refusing to show images. Having been flaky from the very start I had have to keep unplugging it at the camera. Now the damned thing has stopped working altogether! I keep getting a message in SharpCap that the camera is in 'Live' mode but producing no images.

It always felt as if it was badly made at the very loose socket. The slightest cable movement, even from brand new and it would drop the video signal.

Hundreds of times I've had to unplug, re-insert and then restart the software with a "New" device. Overpriced piece of crap! It is little more than a webcam in fancy packaging. What am I supposed to do now? Just as I was finally getting somewhere with my solar imaging too!

I solved the problem with half a dozen rubber bands to tie the cable immovably and tightly back to the body. A black zip tie might be neater and longer lasting. Why is it even necessary?

Still waiting for UPS to bring the new focuser's, custom, base adapter. Though I shan't be wasting solar time on the lathe. The forecast is worse from Wednesday onwards.

It looks as if it will be a long wait! UPS has sent my parcel to the far north of Denmark. Though Denmark is a very small country and the detour is only 90 miles. I live in the south.

To add insult to injury they [UPS] are now saying it will take two more days to deliver. It will rest for 36 hours in a town only 30 miles away without moving. Presumably they have no Tuesday delivery service in southern Denmark? I could cycle there and back in only a few short hours and have done the ride in the past.  Trust Pilot gives UPS two stars from 1000s of reviews.

UPS! We go the extra mile!

*

No comments: