4.7.19

Rippled glass mask continued.

*

Over the last two days I have struggled with excess cloud. As I tried to rid myself of the overlaid rippled mask while capturing some short solar videos. The mask was still clearly visible in RGB24 AVI in all frame sizes regardless of my button pressing over on the right in SharpCap.

I have loaded the videos onto the SSD so I can have a look indoors on the PC's 28" screen. Thus avoiding needing my stronger glasses just to see the 15.6" screen properly in difficult light. I have looked at putting a larger monitor out in the observatory but the laptop would get in the way.

The larger screen would need to go above the open laptop and there is little room left on the big pier at that height. Worse still, my older 24" monitor screen doesn't have any modern sockets, ports, or whatever. Serial only and I upgraded to my 28" Samsung for a much better picture anyway. I could run a modern screen off the laptop using HDMI and a wireless keyboard, but that would mean even more expense.

I do have an old PC with a serial port but it really is old with no USB3 ports for the SSD. The small, internal hard disk couldn't cope with the ZWO camera's prodigious file output. XP is also so yesterday and half the imaging software probably wouldn't be happy without W10. I'm not buying a new PC just for imaging and my present PC is only four years old. So is no hurry to be banished to the observatory. I just had a look online and can't believe how expensive PCs are these days!

Whatever happens I still need to be able to see the screen properly to check for unwanted artifacts.

Friday: I tried both cameras again in H-a. The Neximage5 immediately showed "cloth" patterns in iCap 2.4. The ZWO showed the rippled mask in SharpCap. I tried capturing the visible proms but I was wasting my time again. I even tried the [wedge] adjustable camera plate but it didn't make any difference as I rotated the camera and played with the adjustment screws to try and optimize the set-up.



*

No comments: